Monday, March 14, 2011

#11 Guest Spotlight on Veggiewurst and Kimchi Fries

Okay, I know this is a site dedicated to veggie burgers, which are probably not even remotely related to veggie dogs or kimchi, but for anyone who loves good veggie meals, these are a must-try when in Austin.
Must-must-must try: Chi’lantro kimchi fries (w/tofu…you could get pork, chicken, or beef).  Husburger came home one day raving about these kimchi fries he ate one day at work.  Apparently the truck visited their office.  When my sis, Beeburger was in town, I wanted to give her a trailer tour of Austin, so we hit up a few good places.  I searched for “kimchi fries Austin,” and immediately Chi’Lantro came to the top.  I had to deal with all kinds of weird twitter schedules and whatnot, but eventually we figured out their route.  Turns out they are nighttime crowd, like 9PM onward downtown.  That is too late for parents who wake up at 7AM latest on a weekend!  We were in hot pursuit of Chi’Lantro for the whole weekend she was here, and then finally gave up on it.  I’m back at work a few days later, and for some reason, I decided to check the schedule again…guess what? Chi’Lantro comes to my building every Thursday!  I called Husburger and he came over for a rare lunchtime date.  Kimchi fries in the Prius.  Yum.  Those badboys lived up to all of the Yelp reviews.  I guess I always thought that the French fry was the perfect food, but all of that kimchi goodness piled on top of them left me thinking fries have much more potential than just sitting on the side.

Try it if you’re in the neighborhood: On our trailer tour, I took my sis over to South of Congress to experience trailer-mania + outdoor market all at once.   To my brother-in-law Mikey’s disappointment, we ended up not going to Coat and Thai and instead tried out BestWurstTex.  You guessed it, the veggie bratwurst.  There were 2 options, and we went with the sautéed onions, peppers, and sauerkraut.  Delish!  I am not usually a veggie dog person because they are just too darn soy-y for me, but this was really flavorful.  Not to mention that the line was far more manageable than most anywhere else there.  Oh, and what did Slider like?  The waffle fries, topped with truffle oil, of course.  

No comments:

Post a Comment