Monday, March 14, 2011

#12 Mushroom burger reco from Beeburger's FB pal

Let me start by saying that, if you’re doing the math, you may have noticed that I am not on track to eat 100 veggie burgers in 2011.  It seems like any veggie burgers after #60 would probably be rated harshly because at this rate, I would have to start eating them practically every other night to make my goal!  So, I’m all about flexibility.  Let’s call it a cool 52 veggie burgers…one per week for all of 2011.  Any objections? 

One of Beeburger’s pals recommended that I test out making a more mushroom-y burger and sent me this recipe.  Last week, I tested it out and actually thought it was pretty tasty.  For recipes, I’ll use a slightly different scale, since part of what makes a recipe good is how complicated it is…weekend affair or quick week night meal?

Grade: B

What I liked:  It’s odd because at first blush, I wasn’t too into this burger.  It seemed a little blah to me, just not enough spice (and I doubled or tripled whatever the recipe called for), but after having one, I started picking off of the other “leftovers” still sitting in the pan.  So did Husburger.  I am not really a mushroom gal, but this was a tasty burger! 

Was it worth it? Should I have just spent 5 minutes in the P.Terry’s drive through instead?  I don’t think so!  Especially since I made these crispy enough, it was well worth investing time to cook vs. carryout.  Cook + prep time was not bad at all.  Slider hit the hay at 6:45PM and we were eating by 7:45, just in time for Big Love!

What Missed: Oh, I just think that all of that bean paste is kind of insurmountable when it comes to flavor.  It’s like the mashed up beans really take over whatever spice you add, so you’d need half a bottle of pepper to truly taste it.  A little mushy, and hard to get that crispness that I like, but not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment