Saturday, March 5, 2011

#10 Your Mom's Burger Bar

Husburger had been out of town for several days, so I was excited to hear he was coming home early.  But of course that meant that we would need to eat something other than what I typically make myself when he's out of town: popcorn and chocolate (Beeburger gave me that great option) or heating up one of those Indian pouches of food that they sell at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. Yum.  I used to fry up a veggie burger, but now I am pretty much only eating to review if you catch my drift.

Now that I have gone to many of the burger joints that I already knew in Austin, I thought it was time to start branching out.  I am a new and ardent fan of Yelp, so went to check it out and came across Your Mom's Burger Bar.  I think that the chair masseuse at the airport also mentioned it.  Not to be confused with Mother's (a veg joint in the city), Your Mom is over on the East Side and has some pretty fantastic sounding burgers.  I think my first clue about this burger should have been when I noticed that there wasn't a featured veggie burger.  Instead, you had to just substitute any burger with the veggie.  People like it though, at least on yelp they do, so I figured we would give it a try.

Grade: C

What I liked: I ordered the John D. Rockefeller, and the toppings on my burger were pretty awesome.  It's not every day that you get sauteed spinach, artichoke hearts, and tomatoes all nicely cooked and piled on your burger.  I like the menu at Your Mom's and the overall inventiveness and feel of it.


What Missed: Not enough flavor in the burger.  The burger itself left a lot to be desired.  Granted, I left off the pepperjack cheese that is stuffed in the burger (at least advertised like that for regular ones), but still, it was pretty cardboard-y.  Too much rice, too thin, didn't really stick together well, and not very distinctive.  To add to that mix, the bun was dry and really big.  It dominated so much that I had to eat the burger without bread at all in the end, to keep from having dry mouth.

What Husburger Liked: The guy who answered the phone to take our order.  Apparently he was pretty hilarious and when asked for his opinion on what type of wings to try, he told him, "I like chipotle lime.  And you'd be a fool not to order them."

No comments:

Post a Comment